Wednesday, April 14, 2010

what else?

In the last 24 hours, I have had many a startling thing happen to me. I'm sure you've experienced things like that, where you get all nervous feeling in your stomach for a split second. Or those things that elicit a surprised, high-pitched squeal that you instantly regret almost as soon as it happens....

Well I have had many of those things happen to me. It all started last night. The assignment was to read a play. I had spread out my body pillow on the floor, fluffed it just right, gotten all squished down in it, and was minding my own business when all of the sudden one of those horrid, long-legged, freakishly fast centipede things ran right by my arm and under the chair I was near. Surprised, I jumped back in fear and let out a quick squeal.



Tara searched for the awful thing to kill it, even going to the extent of lifting the chair to look under it. But it had disappeared. Disgruntled, I moved my reading to the table, trying to concentrate on my reading but stopping to look at the floor for a glance of the unwelcome intruder every 3 seconds.

Today was filled with fearful moments as well. This morning, in my rush to get to class, I almost walked into a moving car.



Then I had a moment of fear the instant before I looked at my grade on my research paper for Dr. Haluska's class. Later as I was leaving work, I had a moment of terror when a bee almost flew up my skirt. Yikes!



After lunch I was heading back to work when I had that good old fearful feeling back for a split second when I had a dreaded sensation that the back of my dress just might be tucked into my leggings. But luckily it wasn't. Phew. But nevertheless, my heart was beating fast from the close encounter.



Later, when I was cleaning my house very tentatively in fear of discovering the centipede, I had the music blaring when I went into my room. I heard a favorite song come on and was about to bust a move on my way out the door when I opened it to find Nick right there. Ding. Another split second of fear.

Our kitchen was a mess. I started to clean it, putting dishes in the dishwasher, putting food away. As I started to move some extra dishes out of the sink, I screamed and jumped back three feet. There, scurrying about the sink like he owned it, his little antennae flicking about was my arch-nemisis: the horrid, long-legged, freakishly fast centipede. What the heck was he doing there?! My heart was pounding as I frantically called Nick to come back fast, standing guard all the while with a pasta scooper should the intruder decide to advance any further. Thankfully Nick came and disposed of the creature and left. I promptly bleached the sink and every surrounding surface. The idea of bleaching my fruit that had been sitting out crossed my mind as well.

I tried to calm myself down with the knowledge that it was gone, squished, never to be heard from again while I swept the floor. But as I was sweeping, what should come walking nonchalantly out from under the counter but ANOTHER horrid, long-legged, freakishly fast centipede, albeit a slightly smaller one. "WHAT?!" I roared.



This was the final straw. They were invading MY kitchen. I had anger-fueled gumption as I unloaded the wrath of my flip-flopped foot on the miserable thing. He never knew what hit him. Later, as I plucked legs that were still moving out of the bottom of my shoe with 15 layers of paper towel, I shuddered to think that my foot had been somewhere near that thing. Ugh.

Thankfully that has been the last scare of the day. So far. It is only 8:30. Who knows what else could happen tonight....

2 comments:

  1. i like to think i can be unpredictable. also, the pictures you've chosen for this blog are mostly hilarious.

    ReplyDelete