Thursday, January 27, 2011

for your boredom

last sabbath was one of the more entertaining church services i have been to in awhile. but it wasn't because of the service. i sat in between katie wilson and lauren brooks up in the balcony. and we were a wreck. first there was a little boy behind us that distracted us. he was screaming, pounding his shoes on the ground, poking us, and at one point he was under my chair. there was hardly any space in between the rows up there so i kept kicking the guy in front of me in the butt accidentally because if i crossed my legs it was at that exact height. a little ways into the sermon, katie dropped her keys down into the row in front of us, under the guy who i kept kicking. she tried to bend down to get them but couldn't reach them, so she tried kneeling and in the process, semi body slammed the poor guy. he tried to reach them but couldn't, so his wife had to grab them. lauren had brought a craft to church to work on. when she first went to get it from her bag, we discovered a rather large spider by the wall. she pushed it away and it disappeared, only to reappear later between me and katie. we freaked and parted like the red sea as much as we could. lauren being the brave one, grabbed one of her patent leather pumps and body surfed over my knees to smoosh it. and last but not least, when lauren returned to her craft, she tried to put her tape away, but instead flung it into the row ahead of us to, you guessed it, the poor couple who had been putting up with us the whole time. the lady retrieved the tape and handed it back to lauren. i think we all felt like kindergarteners that day.

in a quick change of plans, i was able to go to a place called iguazu falls in argentina with the aca group. it was so beautiful there, but so so hot! it was extremely humid and sticky. i hate being sticky. and damp. but it was worth it because i seriously felt like i was in the movie avatar it was so other worldly. (what is it with me and avatar lately?!) we had an 18 hour bus ride to get there. we left that saturday evening at 11. i actually slept a lot and the ride was fairly uneventful. it was a completely different story on the way back. our bus air conditioning decided to not work. and with it being in the 90s and 100s with like 94% humidity, it was dang hot. for those of you who were with me on the bus back from elat in israel, reference that, only with the humidity factor. it was just a wee bit brutal. and then we spent like an hour and a half at some podunk gas station with a blown diesel pump tube something or other. in the end they got it fixed, but my head lamp did not fair well. i had loaned it to the cause and now the band is soaked with diesel fuel and oil. bueno.

my roommate and i have taken up golfing. with crickets. we wind up and drive them down the hall with the broom. tonight i was being especially exuberant in my attempts. i decided that i hadn't booted one far enough down the hall so i ran after it and swung on the run. but mid swing/run one of my friends was at the end of the hall and screamed bloody murder when i flung the cricket at her. it was so funny.

tonight i almost ate it in the shower. while simultaneously almost doing the splits. fear was very real in that moment.

the end.

for now.

8 comments:

  1. see what i'm saying? bugs make it into every post =) they're almost as frequent as avatars =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oy. I'm not sure if I am afraid of being near you because of the bugs or getting struck by lightning from God. Just make sure you come back to us in all one piece!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As I was in the middle of reading this, I experienced something traumatic dealing with bugs as well. Check out my blog... :) Oh Argentina, how I despise your mutant sized creatures ('cause they surely aren't bugs!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. glad you got to go. you might forget about the crappy temperatures in a few years, but probably not the views.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE reading your posts! They make me smile and they're so entertaining!!! You are a very detailed writer and I can see this stuff happening to you :) And yes, you do reference Avatar alot (I'm glad I've actually SEEN that one so I know what you're talking about!! haha) Keep writing, and in turn, I'll keep thinking about you and smiling from our family room here in Watford City! PS I LOVE your new blog look! Awesome picture too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Avatar and bugs. It's true. And I like it. But it sounds like you're practicing hockey more than golf with your crickets.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I laughed. and laughed. outloud. oh goodness.

    ReplyDelete
  8. When you said you "almost ate it" I thought you were still talking about the cricket. Gross. Kreesta, you are funny and wonderful. These posts make me miss you.

    ReplyDelete